The programs below are academic-based programs involving some academic course work in conjunction with experiential learning. For a list of strictly research or experiential experiences with mentoring opportunities see hte Summer Research or Internship Experiences see the Internships Link. Please note that the Lang Opportunity Awards Program could subsidize these academic based programs below.
- Tishman Environmental Merit Scholars. Students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and completed at least two Environmental Studies are eligible to apply to this program. Together with a select group of students from across the country, the Tishman Environmental Merit Scholars engage in conservation research, develop environmental education programs, work on grassroots campaigns to advance pro-environment policies, and support programs to foster sustainable development in communities throughout the state. Tishman Merit Scholars receive
- a paid 12-week summer internship in Alaska in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula
- Tuition scholarship for four credits of independent study
- roundtrip airfare from New York City to Anchorage
This program is co-sponsored by The New School and the Alaska Conservation Foundation. The sponsored internships are with major organizations dedicated to protecting the natural resources and cultural heritage of America’s last great wilderness. In past years, Lang students have worked for the Alaska Conservation Foundation (ACF), the National Wildlife Federation, and the Alaska Conservation Alliance, among others.
- International Global Bioethics Summer School While not a paid internship nor research experience,this five-week (June 15-July 18) program provides coursework, mentoring, and a venue for student presentations. It is expensive, but students could see if they can receive college credit, and there is a partial scholarship opportunity to subsidize costs. Many of the topics are in line with the IS Program and New School Curriculum.
- Early Registration due April 15; $1650 for undergrads
- Regular Registration due May 25, $1750 for undergrads
- Partial scholarship application due May 15
Biostats and Big Data:
- Summer Institute in Biostatistics Program (SIBS)
- Harvard Summer Program in QR-Biostatistics
- Columbia University Biostats Summer Program(Calc required)
Stem Cell Research
- Harvard Stem Cell Institute: Prior Lab Experience required and deadline Feb 6