Contact Information for students who have graduated and completed traditional courses in the sciences and math for medical, nursing, and science graduate schools, followed by the research they did to make decisions on post graduate plans.
POST BAC FELLOWSHIPS FOR HEALTH
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation University of Washington (2 year paid, Jan 10 deadline)
- PHAP: Public Health Associates Training Program ( 2 year paid +Benefits, in public health agencies, or community health orgs – leads to job in an underserved community) (Jan Deadline) : Must be a US citizen, and have completed a Bachelors degree no more then two years before applying.
POST BAC FELLOWSHIP for SOCIAL JUSTICE and EQUITY (Community Service)
- NYCCivicCorps (10month-Paid $1200/monthly +benefits and student loan deferment Sept- July)
- National HealthCorps (10 months $1200/ Monthly +benefits ) in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Florida, Chicago
POST BAC for STEM Graduate Programs (Science Technology, Engineering and Math) and Behavioral Sciences
- PREP PROGRAM Designed for under-represented minorities seeking Ph.D. in biomedical and behavioral sciences.
- GEM Fellowship Prepares students from under-represented minorities for graduate school in STEM. Columbia University has a workshop/symposium for this program each year in the fall and Assistant Dean Palm has a listserve for this event firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IRTA/CRTA Program open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must intend to apply to graduate or professional school during their tenure at the NIH. Eligibility: The Postbac IRTA/CRTA Program is for individuals who meet any ONE of the following criteria:
- college graduates who received their bachelor’s degrees less than THREE years prior to the date they begin the program,
- individuals who are more than 3 years past bachelor’s degree but received a master’s degree less than SIX MONTHS before they begin the program, OR
- students who have been accepted into graduate, other doctoral, or medical school programs and who have written permission from their school to delay entrance for up to one year to pursue a biomedical research project at the NIH.
- Undergraduate to Graduate School: Bridges to the Doctorate Program (R25)Program Overview: Provides students from under-represented minorities with support as they transition from masters programs to Ph.D. programs
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Post Bac Research Assistant Program in STEM, Data Science, Analytics and Visualization.
POST BAC STUDENT ADVICE on STEM PREP and NON TRADITIONAL MODES
Alexa Riggs completed the MPH program at Hunter/ CUNY while working full time. After graduating from Lang, she secured a full-time position as a research coordinator for a palliative care research study with terminally ill cancer patients. Her summer internship experience with Clinical Directors Network ( paid Hunt Fellow), her research assistant experience stem cell research curriculum at Lang, , her course work, and senior thesis in health and behavior change in psychology helped her secure these positions. She plans to complete her PhD in public health. See her bio for more info under About Our Program on this website.
Angelica Ferguson received her Ph.D. in 2016 from Cornell Weill in Biological Chemistry. She graduated from Lang in 2007 in IS and completed traditional courses at Rockefeller while serving as a research assistant in Mike Rout’s lab (free tuition as a research assistant as part of her employee benefits), then entered the PhD program in Bacteriology at the EFPL in Global Health in Switzerland, and then transferred to Cornell Weill). See her bio for more info under About Our Program on this website.
- Lianna Schwartz Orbach is in the M.D. Ph.D. program at Rutgers (summer 2016). After graduating Lang, she worked as a bartender, a math educator at MoMath, a volunteer at the Sylvia Rivera Law Project, and returned to science as a research assistant in cancer and epigenetics during which time she completed her prereqs ( tuition free as part of employee benefits package). Because she had completed a summer REU as a junior, and then worked in a lab after graduation, she had the skills to secure full-time employment while finishing her prereqs. See her bio for more info under About Our Program on this website.
- Marissa Shipman: completed a self- directed BA with anthro and health and then worked full time as an animal care specialist while completing her prereqs for vet school. She was accepted in 2016, completed the first semester, but decided that she would like to move into conservation and is working on agroecology. See her bio for more info under About Our Program on this website.
- Ronnie Almonte completed a masters in education at NYU, but also began graduate school at U of Chicago in Biochemistry after completing a PREP program (fully funded for URM students interested in going to graduate school). CONTACT: via Katayoun Chamany (email@example.com)
- Tesaen Chavis completed the John Hopkins PREP program (fully funded for URM students interested in going to graduate school) and had intended to go into the hard sciences, but then decided that this might not be the right fit. She is now working and completing the Baruch’s School of Public Affairs MPA program, focusing on healthcare and her interdisciplinary interests in environmental health and social justice. After completing the MPA she plans to apply for Eramus Mundus programs and the Nat Geo Fulbright Fellowship. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alana Proctor completed her PhD Public Health at the U of Maastricht in Holland, after graduating from the Lang/NSSR combined BA/ MA program in Interdisciplinary Science and Masters in Global Political Economy and Finance . She first completed a masters in PhD in Public Health, and just published her thesis as a book . She is currently an Assistant Professor of Health, Ethics and Society at the MS in Global Health at U of Maastricht in Holland. email@example.com
Angelica Ferguson received her Ph.D. from Cornel Weill in Biological Chemistry. She graduated from Lang in 2007 in IS and completed traditional courses at Rockefeller while serving as a research assistant in Mike Rout’s lab (free tuition as a research assistant), then entered the PhD program in Bacteriology at the EFPL in Global Health in Switzerland, and then transferred to Cornell) . firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lianna Schwartz Orbach is in the M.D. Ph.D. program at Rutgers. After graduating Lang, she worked as a bartender, a math educator at MoMath, a volunteer at the Sylvia Rivera Law Project, and returned to science as a research assistant in cancer and epigenetics during which time she completed some courses work ( though no Bio101, Chem101, she skipped over these) . Because she had completed a summer REU at Albert Einstein Medical College in reproductive biology and small RNAs as a junior, and then worked in a lab after graduation she had the skills to secure full time employment while finishing her prereqs. Contact: email@example.com
POST BAC FOR PREMED ADVICE
Jenny Brustein is a practicing pediatric oncology nurse in Colorado who completed her nursing at NYU and lang alumna who completed courses while working full time. firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Weber completed a Post bac at Columbia U, her MD in Chicago, and her second year of residency, and lang alumn. , email@example.com
Amy Walker completed a Post bac program for medical school and a graduate of the GPIA program. firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Meile completed her Post Bac at NYU and now in medical school and a graduate of GPIA and a Develop Assistant for Engender Health. email@example.com
Katleen Lozada completed her BA at NSPE, and completed the Post Bac at Columbia U and was accepted to several medical schools and is completing her MD at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.. She also is happy to speak with students about the Mount Sinai FlexMed program that offers early admission for sophomores who have completed two semesters of biology with lab, or two semesters of physics with lab, or two semesters of chemistry with lab. for more on the FlexMed program’s goals see this brochure. Her contact is firstname.lastname@example.org
POST BAC STUDENT ADVICE on PREMED
- MielePostBacAdvice2010 Katie Meile: NYU pre med post bac overview and advice
- WalkerPostBacAdvicefall2009 Amy Walker: Overview of several PostBac pre-med programs and advice
- WEberPostBacAdvice2009Laura Weber: Overview and Advice for Columbia Post Bac and others